Monday, November 27, 2006

Where It’s At

Week Eight: Sunday 19 – Saturday 25 November

Wandering home the other day, I was wondering about life and my place in the ‘grand scheme of things’: as you do. I was somewhat consumed by my thoughts, so much so that I walked past the gate to my house.

I was only jolted out of my self-imposed hypnosis when I heard my daughter calling my name; she had been waiting for me and had opened the front door and called on me, despite being only 2¾s, when I walked past.

As I opened the gate, she ran down the couple of steps and threw herself into my arms as I bent down to meet her. Once inside the house I realised why she had been particularly keen to see me home that day.

She had painted two pictures at nursery, using paint for the first time in her wee short life. Both pictures were sitting on the kitchen table, waiting for me to admire. And admire them I did.

My daughter had a big smile on her face and her eyes were brighter than usual as I studied her artistry and complimented her on her talents. As I sat down to look at the pictures more closely, still wearing my damp coat and hat, my daughter clambered into my lap and explained what she had drawn and which picture was for ‘Papa’ and which for ‘Mama’.

It was a good five minutes or more before I removed my hat and coat and said good evening to my wife. Then I got some blu-tack and, with my daughter's input, chose two places to stick up the two wonderful works of art.

After sticking up the paintings, I sat down to sip a cup of tea in between cuddling and kissing my daughter who had returned to my lap and was drawing her next masterpiece on a piece of scrap paper.

It was then I came back to my earlier thoughts and was reminded that no matter how little I know, and I know very little, about the who, what, where, why and when of life, being the father of my child is where it is at for me.

Senseless as I find much of life, confused by what it is all about, my daughter brings me my meaning and purpose. Being responsible for a young life is one thing, but being around a young life is an altogether other thing. It is nothing short of a joy and pleasure to witness the unbridled, innocent existence of a child as they exist 100% in the here and now.

I also believe that the happiest child, the most secure and confident, is the one that has the love, attention, support, focus and time of both parents; as a result my wife also brings purpose and meaning to my life. We are both committed to the task of doing the very best we can by our child; not materially, not even financially, but humanly.

It’s where it’s at!

No comments: