Monday, April 30, 2007

Mellowed By Massage

My good (what an understatement) lady wife and I have a little Monday afternoon tryst that we have, until now, kept a secret. We go to the Adult Education Centre and get a full body massage from someone coming to the end of their holistic massage course.

One full hour, sweet almond oil, muscles being manipulated, tweaked, stretched, rubbed and indulged. Joy, bliss, happiness. All for £5.00 because they are still students. Double joy, bliss, happiness.

We have come to really enjoy our Monday afternoon; hardly surprising. We meet beforehand, not for coffee or anything; we don't want a fresh dose of toxins in our body just when we are about to have existing ones squeezed out. No, we just meet early and walk up the road hand in hand. That in itself is a bit of a wee treat, as since becoming parents just over three years ago we haven't had much 'our' time together.

After the massage we walk slowly, floatily, down the road and discuss how relaxed, tension free and sleepy we feel. The massage sessions coincide time wise very nicely with collection time for our wee shining star; so we head for nursery, look at all the lovely things she has made, painted, drawn that day, and then trot off down the road having fun and being a happy family.

To all those people out there who careers mean something to, who feel they need a job as it gives them identity and purpose - good on you, go for it and all the best to you. I hope you make it to the top of whatever profession it is you want to make it to the top to.

Me: I just want to be with my wife and daughter; no career aspirations, no need to be up at six and in the office for seven, a ten hour day in front of me. I want to be there as my daughter grows up; minute by minute, hour by hour. And I want to share the experience with my wife.

Reality swoops from a far and smacks my head as it passes. What about money? It shouts as it heads up, ready to turn and swoop again. But I'm waiting for it. Yeah, I haven't worked out how to live without cash. I'm aware it takes more than hanging with your wife and daughter to make a life.

But they are my life; they bring me so much happiness, contentment and fulfillment. I'm not looking for anything more. Where there is a will, there is a way. Need to find a way to earn money and spend lots of time with my wife and daughter ... and get a massage once a week too!

1 comment:

miss-cellany said...

Oh the simple pleasures - but you know seeing them for what they are, that's not so simple. Seeing things with your perspective can take a lifetime, so you are ahead of the game.

Do you know that poem about the old lady thinkng about all the things she would do if she had her time again? I'll try to dig it out if you don't.

Careers are seagulls. I prefer hummingbirds.