Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hhmmm ...

I don't watch much television, but the new house we (Toni, Kumali and I) have moved into has an aerial so I have been dipping my toe into the great opiate of the masses. I watched the news the other day. The headline/leading story was about an English guy called Lewis Hamilton not winning the Grand Prix! News? Just. Headline news? Just not right.

Toni makes soap, beautiful it is. She recently heard about an organisation called S.O.A.P. set up in Zimbabwe to help feed starving old people. S.O.A.P = Starving Old Age Pensioners. They asked for people to find ways to contribute to their funds to enable them to go on feeding pensioners in Zimbabwe who are literally starving to death. Toni decided to make soap for S.O.A.P. She sent a short letter with an order form explaining what she was doing to everyone she knows in the British Isles, including lots of self-exiled Zimbabweans. Lots of people have bought the soap, helping to raise money to send to S.O.A.P., except for all the Zimbabweans! Can anyone help Zimbabwe if Zimbabweans don't appear willing to?

Cornwall is a lovely place to live. The rugged coastline, less stressed pace of life, better than average British weather, et cetera. Penrhythm, the samba/reggae band I'm in, did a free gig to launch the re-opening of the Body Shop in Truro. The Body Shop support awareness about issues of domestic violence. I found out from their literature that Cornwall has a higher than average statistical rate of domestic violence. Not so less stressed for some women!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey, I'd like to get me some of that soap SOAP for Xmas pressies. It is lush - I'd recommend it to anyone. Jx