Monday, November 05, 2007

Where I'm Coming From

I'm not the greatest fan of 'technology', per se. Yes I enjoy the Internet, especially email, and I do wonder how I managed before I had a mobile phone, so useful has it become. So I'm not against 'technology'. Let's just say I don't necessarily equate it to 'progress' and I'm not convinced, overall, that it is actually a 'good thing' for humankind.

That said, I do believe that every action has an equal and opposite reaction; that nothing is inherently good or bad. It is how we perceive it, and use it, that determines its worth and value.

And one good thing about 'technology', in my humble opinion, is that you can now get your DNA taken. Now it may come to pass in a few years time that the whole DNA thing was anything from a big scam to an unprovable scientific theory that was never properly challenged at the time. But for now its legitimate, as far as I understand.

For £150.00 you can explore your genetic roots through DNA company Oxford Ancestors. Skint as I am, my order's already in. For the past few years I have been intrigued to know 'where I come from', not just my immediate ancestors, but my very origin. I find that a fascinating insight that could lead to a new awareness. I hope it is legitimate: ever the sceptic, I will study the feedback with a critical eye.

First I have to wait for the swab sample package to arrive so I can take a sample of my DNA from a scraping inside my cheek and post it off!

Do you know where I'm coming from? Hopefully I'll have a better idea soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you go back far enough, I thought you would be related to a T-Rex (in joke, Marc!)