Wednesday, March 19, 2008

If Less Is More, Why Is There More & More?

No-one seems to know for sure where the phrase 'less is more' originated. It doesn't really matter all that much. What matters is that it's a cheeky little number as far as phrases go: it gets you thinking. And the more you think about the concept of less being more, the more (not less) it makes sense on a number of levels. So it's not only short and sweet, it's also deep and meaningful.

It has become quite the trendy statement to apply to any and all manner of things, from make-up to aid to poverty stricken countries. I got a lovely example of the simplistic beauty and truth behind the statement, 'less is more' when I had a couple of puffs on a joint for the first time in over a month.

For the best part of 15 years I was a habitual, almost everyday smoker of cannabis. Sometimes from mornings through till night, sometimes just at night. Once the first one had been lit there would be a joint every couple of hours at least, and every hour or less at most.

Over the last six years or so I have smoked dope less often and, therefore, in less quantity to the point where these days it is an occasional treat. Yesterday was one such occasional treat. I think I had four draws on a natural (as opposed to skunk) grass joint. A lovely sensation came over me: I felt happy, chatty and at peace - all the best hallmarks of a cannabis 'hit'. The effects lasted for a good four hours. I didn't have any more than four puffs of the joint, that's less than a quarter of it.

I used to easily smoke two joints all myself, one after the other!! Less IS more. All things in moderation, is another way of saying it.

Of course the temptation is then there to have more. That's where self-control comes into the equation: discipline - of the mind and emotions, not of the body with a whip and lots of black latex! Discipline's the key.

It has to be, otherwise how do you explain that while almost everyone universally agrees that less is more, and can give at least one profound personal example to validate the point, we live in a world where the vast majority of people just want more and more?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Less is more, and more usually makes you sick anyway (I am thinking chocolate here).
A small, but perfectly formed occasional joint often releases the overfandangled condooberators and allows a lovely flow of writerish words.

Pleased to make yer acquaintance, David, I am an awfur just up the road from you - found your link on Peacharse.

David M N Bate said...

Please to make your acquaintance, too, Minx. Reminds me of Minny the Minx from the Beano or Dandy comics I read as a lad.
Where's just up the road?

Unknown said...

I abide in the demesne of Kambronn. The magickal home of pasties, piskies and dead miners.

I have performed the linkage ritual - you may find some of my blogroll interesting, or just plain mad - take yer pick.

Jen said...

You are a wise, wise Scot that's for sure. I wonder how we can encourage this less-is-moreanity. Perhaps I could run off some badges, t-shirts and posters. Then we could sell them and with the money we make from that.... Oh, yeah, right.

Jen said...

You are a wise, wise Scot that's for sure. I wonder how we can encourage this less-is-moreanity. Perhaps I could run off some badges, t-shirts and posters. Then we could sell them and with the money we make from that.... Oh, yeah, right.