Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Gallery Girl

Week Thirty – one: Sunday 29 April – Saturday 5 May

I stood there, almost in a trance. My mouth open at first, then forming into a huge smile. My eyes wide, almost popping from their sockets.

I stared and stared; my smile constant and strong, the feeling of joy and happiness floating through me. Chuckles and giggles flowed through my smiling mouth.

The feeling was magical.

And that was just the first picture. I remembered my wife told me that there were five of my daughter's pictures on display. Five. The multi-award winning Falmouth Arts Gallery have a parent and child club on a Saturday afternoon. My wife and daughter go along. Every so often the pictures that the children produce are framed and exhibited, just like any exhibition.

I wandered round and round, making a point of looking at the other art work of the other children, but really only interest in observing and absorbing my daughter's work. Five framed pieces of my three year-old daughter's art work, on display in an art gallery.

What a genius idea. I don't know for sure what it does for the children, although I can't imagine it is anything less than positive, but it works for this parent. It made me feel so happy, so impressed by my daughter's talent (not that I wasn't anyway), and proud too, I guess.

I went straight home, collected my wife and daughter and went straight back to the gallery with them. The three of us wandered around smiling, nodding and pointing in approval.

My daughter, on display in a bone fida art gallery; they've even got a Picasso in there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.